Saturday, March 8, 2008

OUT OF THE MOUTH OF BABES

Ever notice how sometimes our kids have some great input for us!

I'll never forget a few years back when watching a UW football game at our home in California, the refs blew a call. I exploded!! The call swung the game and I was not happy! My daughter looked at me and told me that I needed to get myself under control! I treated her like one of the refs and she went and told mom!!!!

The tv was turned off. I was in deep water and felt horrible that I had 'barked' at my daughter like I did. No amount of discussion with my wife and the blown call would allow her to see it my way.

Dog houses are very uncomfortable.

Our kids can help us see things in our lives if we will allow them to talk to us and if we allow them to talk openly with us. Having a discussion with our kids on stuff we mess up on is really quite good. My oldest daughter told me of something today that I needed to work on. She is 100% correct.

Now, I can get all defensive and treat her like a child and take on the macho role of man and dad, but that's not good. She has great insight and I need to listen. She is not being critical. She is not being mean. She is just calling it like she sees it and let me tell you, she'd make a great PAC-10 official!!!!!!

So, let your kids tell you and show you where your weak links are. Let your spouse tell you as well...I appreciate it when mine does and besides they live with us and know us best.

MTC!
Mark

No comments: