Monday, March 31, 2008

DUDE!

I have always viewed running as something to be done in short bursts, never for a long period of time. However, as we get older there comes the need to get in shape and stay in some semblance of shape, thus running seems like a necessary evil kind of thing.

So, my friend Greg was discussing with me his high cholesterol yesterday and we were talking about it and he brought up the horrific question: "Do you run?". The conversation then began to include our wives and before you know it we decided that I should join him on his daily run and it would be a good thing.

Tell, me, what good can come out of a three mile run when one has not run for over three years?

After the first hundred yards I had already hit the wall! Yikes.

We pressed on. The talking got less and less. The breathing became much more labored and then about a mile and a half into it we hit the first hill. The running turned into a walk up the last little bit of the hill. Yikes!!!

All I could get out of my mouth was, "Dude!"

So, I know this will be good for me and I know my body needs the work and I know that this will be a challenge, but why do I hate it so much??? It's like practicing scales in every modality and working on the arpeggios...not glamorous, but it sure pays off when you actually have to play them in a piece!!

It's like anything else in life: whenever there are things that need work in my life, it takes focus, discipline, a willingness to say "I need to improve" and then just plain starting the process.

So, here we go. Another three miles tomorrow and the next day and the next. By week's end I should be back down to 125 pounds!!!!

MTC!
mac

No comments: