Monday, October 1, 2007

Building Upon Memories

October 1.

When I was a kid, I couldn't wait for October. I would nearly crawl out of my skin in anticipation of October rolling around. It meant one thing: hunting season!

I was nine years old the first time I went hunting with my dad. I'll never forget it. We saw tons of deer. No shooters, just lots and lots of animals. God could have walked up to me and I wouldn't have been surprised; I thought I was in heaven!

Fast forward 34 years to last October. I was able to take my daughter elk hunting for her very first time. She loved it! I loved it! My dad was along, he loved it! Two of my brothers were along and they loved it and look forward when their kids are old enough to start tagging along.

Over the years we have always taken some time, now it is reduced to only a day, to do that which we love to do: be together out in the woods laughing, enjoying being together, remembering the times before, and if we are blessed in such a way- get a shot or two off.

My daughter is totally excited about going again and being with grandpa and her dad and uncles. We talked about it again yesterday. She passed her hunter safety course this summer and she can't wait to go!

The thing that sticks out most in my mind is not the animals we were able to harvest, but the time spent with my dad and brothers. Our lives and commitments do not allow us to take a ton of time to do that which could turn into a hardcore habit, but we make the time at least for one night and a day per year every October to build upon memories!

Things have changed alot in 34 years, but I get excited even more now because my daughter is a part of the crew!

Build upon your memories. Find what is good and make it better. Start some new memories!

MTC!
Mark

No comments: