Friday, October 5, 2007

Fake It 'Til You Make It!

If you are talented enough you can fake out most people! But you can't fake out everbody! And there is always one person you can never 'shake and bake' around: you!

Faking is acceptable when you are making music with your friends and you blow through the changes totally aware that you just don't know the voicings! Faking is acceptable when you are playing a game of HORSE and you lob up some junk all the while talking smack to your opponents. Faking is acceptable when I touch a power tool or paint brush!!

Marion Jones tried to fake it and basically lied about it up until now.

The three time Olympic Champion has admitted to using steroids. (I just got that cortisone shot in my shoulder, does that mean I need to admit to something here???? OK. My massive bulk and incredible speed is because I have used steroids in my shoulder! Haven't set any records and one dude told me that he gained 10 pounds after he got the shot! Great, maybe I will set a record!!!)

It bums me out that Jones faked and lied her way around the reality of what she did. I was always amazed by her abilities. Now, I wonder what her true abilities actually were at the time she won all those medals.

Being true to oneself is an axiom that the great coach John Wooden instilled within his players. His encouragement to hundreds of tremendously talented athletes through the years was to challenge yourself to reach your potential and then be ok with that. Work diligently and tirelessly to be your best and if your opponent beats you, it means that they were the better team or player that day.

Life is great when we work hard to be a better person and to achieve those things that we think are just out of reach, all the while being true to ourselves. Life get's crazy when we fake it hoping to make it!

Be true to yourself and in the process learn to like yourself. You are an amazing person with tremendous abilities and talents. Grow them. Nurture them. Learn to be ok with them.


MTC!
Mark

No comments: