Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Parenting: assembly required

If you have seen the news at least once in the last week you've heard about the issues with Brittany Spears and her difficulties being a decent mom. I actually feel really sorry for her and I truly wish she finds help. I feel bad for her kids. The whole deal is a real mess.

It once again drives home the point that you can be old enough to make kids, but it is entirely a different subject when it comes to being old enough and mature enough to raise kids. Mix in our crazy fast paced, 'my kids need everything' society and parenting can become a dicey proposition at best.

The great news is that there are great parents all around. They are doing the best they can with limited resources and their kids are fantastic! Others, well, could use a tune up!

Having two daughters of my own, it really is funny how you think you have everything figured out when all of a sudden the kids bring to light things I really never even considered. That's when I'm reminded of the fact that I'm still learning as a parent. That's when I figure out that I'm still putting the pieces together on this whole parenting thing while at the same time trying to raise great kids. I'm trying to do the best I can. Trying not to make mistakes. I'm totally blessed with outstanding children. I really don't deserve them. I think God had pity on me!

So, to all you parents out there: be strong, stay the course, don't cave in, do the right thing, and carry extra tissue in your pocket!!!! Your kids need you to set a strong example of character and integrity before them! You can do it!!

MTC!
Mark

No comments: