Monday, May 19, 2008

HERD STATUS AND A DODGE PICKUP

Herds meander along. Herds run when one starts to run. Herds stop when the one in front stops.

Have you ever noticed how many times you do something just because the people in front of you or around you are doing the same thing? For instance, when you are in a crowd, most everyone just follows the person in front of them. How many times have you been in traffic and you just keep creeping along and then it dawns on you, "The other lane has been going by me quite a bit faster and for quite some time! Maybe I should get out of this lane and move over one."

I saw something this morning that made me think about this whole 'herd status' deal.

In the mornings I travel a certain road and there is always a back up at a certain four way stop (four stop signs). About a mile from the stop sign, I noticed a Dodge pick-up with two high school guys trying to get onto the road I was traveling. I went by and paid zero attention to them. As usual, there was probably a 15 car back up at the four way stop.

When I was about four cars back from the stop sign, I looked at the stop sign on my left and noticed the two boys in their truck taking a left and started down the road I was on!

They didn't follow the herd!

Well done dudes!!!

They veered left when the herd (me included) stayed right. They added two turns to their route, but beat all of the herd by a long shot!!!

It has never crossed my mind to take the other road. Not anymore.

Life is like that. Most everyone follows the herd. The herd defines the status quo. The herd determines what the herd will do, where it will go, what it will accomplish.

Few are the herd busters and status quo smashers.

The four minute mile was unheard of until Roger Bannister broke it and then everybody started running sub-four miles.

Climbing Mt. Everest seemed improbable and ridiculous until Sir Edmund Hilary ascended it.


Think about other areas in life and in human history where people said 'it can be done' while the herd is off talking about how silly the people are who are defying herd status.

Mind over matter. Heart over opinions. The road less traveled.

There are different and better ways to do some things that have always been done a certain way by the herd.

Thank you Dodge pick-up!

MTC!
Mark

No comments: