Thursday, November 8, 2007

'TIS THE SEASON!

I know what you're thinking. But I'm not talking about that! Here's what I'm talkin' about...that moment when most parents, move from in control to being at the mercy of the moment. That time in life when you try to not allow your blood pressure to rise like the mercury on a thermometer in death valley. That moment when you cross over the imaginary line that differentiates between how you hope they have seen you function and not upon how they have seen you function. I'm talkin about that season called instructional permit!

Yes, we are experiencing the season, in our home, for the very first time. My oldest daughter actually drives very well. Not because of me, but because she has observed how her mother drives. This is a very good thing.

Here is the crazy part: why do they call the card that the student carries with them an 'instructional permit'? Really that is quite wrong. They should issue every parent a card that says the very same thing once the child receives their card. I've never done this before!!!! I don't have a brake or steering wheel on my side of the car!! I'm learning MORE than my daughter is and it has nothing to do with driving!! You know what I mean???

I'm learning that it really cool going through new ages and stages with my kids!

I'm learning that I really care more for my kids than I ever thought or dreamed!

I'm learning that I am spending more time thinking about God's amazing future He has for their
lives and that I get to play a major role in it!

I'm learning that I get totally stoked when I think about how God is guiding their lives just as He wants and that my role and function is more about stewardship and not ownership!

I'm learning that parenting is one of the most awesome privileges a person could ever have is that of raising children!

I'm also learning that I drive way too fast and that I have no idea what the speed limits are.....when I'm driving!!!!!

'Tis the season!!!!

MTC!
Mark

No comments: