Monday, September 29, 2008

DON'T MISS THE POINT!

I was talking with a friend the other day about some exercise questions. He's quite the workout guru and nutrition expert. He's been doing it for decades. The guy is ripped and if he didn't have a few grey hairs roaming on his head, would look about 50. The guy is pushing 70.

As we were gabbing about the questions I had he made this comment (he's really funny and says what is on his mind): "Listen you dodo, you body is eating itself! You need protein, protein and more protein!"

Suffice it to say, class was in session!

The bottom line was that I am not eating to support the caloric output from the running I do. Pretty obvious when I'm losing weight. So, I'm on an eating binge! Let's see if I can keep from dipping under the buck-fitty class!

It all made me think: you can do the right things, the healthy things, and still miss the mark!

I've never ran in my life. Now I do 4-6 miles a day. I never used to watch what I ate. Now I'm very aware of what I eat.

Being concerned about out well-being is good, but we can make some mistakes by having too narrow a focus instead of seeing the bigger picture. We can do the right things, but miss the point.

For example: we can say we are going to spend more time with our kids, but if we are "with" our kids and always on the cell phone with someone else, we've missed the point.

We can do something with the family, but if we don't make it a 'good' time because we are mentally checked out, we've missed the point.

We can tell our spouse that we love them, but if we have taken them for granted for years, we've missed the point.

My friend told me in no uncertain terms, that if I didn't start eating better, my body had no choice but to eat itself. I thought that was pretty gross, so his direct approach has worked!!!! I am seeing the point!

Sometimes it takes someone else to help us see the point and once you do, what are you going to do about it?

MAKE TODAY COUNT!
Mark

No comments: