Friday, June 20, 2008

RED SCHWINN WITH THE CHOPPER HANDLEBARS

For my birthday in 1972, I received from my mom and dad a shiny, brand new, red body, white metallic seat, a big fat slick for the back tire Schwinn bycycle with the big chopper handle bars. I thought I had hit the big time!!!

That bike received major use! It took me to football practice, baseball practice, the local fishing ponds, to my friends and towed home-made hydros made out of plywood that we would drag up and down our street! Too many good times to count and far too many care-free moments to remember.

Today, yes today, I sold it in a garage sale. Kinda weird. Both tires were flat. The seat cracked and torn. The guy that bought it thought he was pulling a fast one by getting such a great deal. He hit the jackpot! I already had.

Getting the bike, for that fella, was a grand coup. But the reality is that there is no way to put a price tag on the years of fun the bike gave me. You couldn't put a price tag on how grateful I am, these many years later, for my mom and dad sacrificing to get me such a cool bike.

I hope the guy fixes it up and makes it look shiny and new once again. Maybe he'll re-sell it and make a few bucks.

The red Schwinn with the chopper handlebars is now history, but the good times on Robinhood Land riding my bike will always bring a smile to my face.

If only everything we possess could bring us that much joy!

Enjoy what you have and make great memories with it!!!!

MTC!
Mark

No comments: