Tuesday, November 25, 2008

MANAGER OR LEADER?

Are you a manager or a leader?

Granted, there are aspects of each that a person utilizes when leading people, but there are some extreme differences as well.

I came across this topic the other day and it jarred me once again. The first time this question was posed to my brain was probably 15 years ago. It really challenged me.

I've never forgot about it.

So when I came upon this once again doing some reading, the query piqued my attention.

Managers- left brain

Leaders- right brain

Basically stated, managers organize and administrate and put systems together and make sure those systems are running and that people are following in them.

Leaders look to the future, the seek new challenges, they invent, they create, they ask tons of questions like 'why' or 'why not'...not to be antagonistic but to define an approach or direction to something or away from something.

Here is a huge difference: Leaders are focused on people. They realize that their greatest asset is not quarterly numbers, but the people that make the organization work!

So what are you?

MTC!
Mark

No comments: