Monday, December 24, 2007

OMELETTE MAKERS AND CHRISTMAS EVE

When I was a little boy, our family would always open our gifts on Christmas eve night. It could never come soon enough! Probably the longest period of time in my life were the painful hours that moved dreadfully slow during Christmas eve day!
Mom would make a huge dinner. We'd eat as fast as we could and then we would clean up the kitchen as fast as we could and then we would pile around the tree and pass out the gifts. Dad would read the Christmas story from the bible and then we would pray. Then, we would open gifts, one at a time, taking turns and starting with the youngest and moving to the eldest. Don't get me wrong, it was not quiet or calm. I think the best fun were the gag gifts and wrapping paper fights we would have.
When I was twelve, I had this absolute penchant for omelets. Omelets at home. Omelets at restaurants. So here comes Christmas eve.....yep.....Dad had bought me an omelet maker! Was I happy? Was I thrilled? Of course............NOT! What kind of a sick joke is that! I hated working in the kitchen. Omelets are to be eaten not made! To this day, we still laugh at that crazy gift.
Mom and Dad were and continue to this to try and squeeze every good and meaningful thing out of the best time of the year: Christmas.
I think that is why we do Christmas the same way now that I'm a parent. We have a big dinner. Clean up the kitchen. Read the bible, pray and then PARTAY!!!!!!!
I really hope you have or start to build into the fabric of your life, tremendous memories and traditions into your Christmas seasons.
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND BUY SOMEBODY AN OMELETE MAKER!
MTC!
Mark

No comments: